Movie Review: The Host


Summary: Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.


Release date: out now

Review: I didn't have high hopes for this movie when I first saw it because I loved the book and well movies are never as good as the books. I didn't like that they didn't stay true to some details but the more I watch the movie and think of it as just itself rather than comparing it to the book then the more I learn to love it.

The casting is great. Saoirse Ronan is just brilliant as Melanie/wanderer. She handles the warring minds amazingly and you can clearly see what actions are Wanda and which ones are Mel. I can't think of anyone who would be better suited for the role.

As for the other characters everyone works well together and is believable. I pictured Jared and Ian completely different when I read the book so it was weird to adjust to them but they are amazing actors.

Wanda's choice at the end shows how close she has become to the humans and how much she is willing to sacrifice to save her friends. I loved that they didn't let her go through with it. It showed that they feel the same for her and would do anything for her.

I would recommend everyone to watch this or read the book.

Emma :)

No comments