If I Die Before I Wake; by Emily Koch


HOW DO YOU SOLVE YOUR OWN MURDER?
Everyone believes Alex is in a coma, unlikely to ever wake up. As his family debate withdrawing life support, and his friends talk about how his girlfriend Bea needs to move on, he can only listen.
But Alex soon begins to suspect that the accident that put him here wasn’t really an accident. Even worse, the perpetrator is still out there and Alex is not the only one in danger. 
As he goes over a series of clues from his past, Alex must use his remaining senses to solve the mystery of who tried to kill him, and try to protect those he loves, before they decide to let him go.

Release Date: 11th January 2018

The description of this book drew me in and I don't think that I've read a book like this before. 

The main character of this book is Alex, and everything is told from his perspective lying on the hospital bed in a vegetable state trying to piece together what has happened to him from the bits of conversation that he catches from his visitors. 

We find out that Alex was in a climbing accident and he wasn't wearing a helmet; he was stabilised after his accident but put into a coma to help him heal but he never recovered, everyone around him thinks he is unresponsive but he can sort of see and hear everything that is happening around him. His family cling onto the hope that he will come around and his girlfriend Bea fights for him and tries to find out what happened to Alex and how he fell. 

The books pacing was fairly slow and I did find myself speed reading at some points as I just wanted to find out what really happened to Alex. I certainly didn't expect the "killer" to be who it was but it is explained clearly so you do understand why they tried to do what they did. This book did help pass the time on my journeys to work though and you could see what was going to happen to Alex by the end of the book. A recommended read if you like mysteries. 

No comments