Good Me Bad Me by Ali Land

When Annie hands her mother over to the police she hopes for a new start in life - but can we ever escape our past?
'NEW NAME. NEW FAMILY. SHINY. NEW. ME.'
Annie's mother is a serial killer. The only way Annie can make it stop is to hand her in to the police.

With a new foster family and a new name - Milly - she hopes for a fresh start. Now, surely, she can be whoever she wants to be. But as her mother's trial looms, the secrets of Milly's past won't let her sleep . . .

Because Milly's mother is a serial killer. And blood is thicker than water...


Release Date: Out Now

I've heard a lot about this book and seen it in the shops a lot when I go to the books section, usually hearing it being compared to The Girl on the Train or Gone Girl. I had an e-book copy of this book from Penguin UK and my husband had the paperback version. He read it before me and couldn't really get into the book and wanted me to have a go at reading the book to see what my opinion would be because he knows I've read books of a similar genre.  

The main character is Annie, now called Milly and living with a foster family. The book is narrated as if she is talking to her mother all the time which my husband didn't really like. Early in the book, we learn that Annie/Milly went to the police and exposed her mothers crimes and that is why she is now living with a foster family as her mother will have to stand trial for the murders she has committed. 

Her new life with her foster family isn't very easy; Mike, the father is the psychiatrist who is helping Milly with her problems and getting her ready to give evidence in the trial against her mother; Saskia, the mother isn't liked very much by her own daughter and seems to keep her distance from Milly; and Phoebe, the daughter clearly doesn't like Milly and begins bullying her at school with her group of friends.

Throughout the book, we follow Annie/Milly as her mothers trial is getting closer and her confusion between betrayal and love for her mother. I found the book really easy to get into and found myself already halfway through the book within a few hours. She is told not to let others know her old identity for fear of what will happen, but we can see that she is desperate for her own friends and comfort.

The ending wasn't as I thought it would end but with links to The Girl on the Train and Gone Girl, I think that was to be expected. The book is very well written and you won't want to put it down so I can see why it is a best seller! Give this book a go if you like a good thriller!

No comments