The Jungle Book


Raised by a family of wolves since birth, Mowgli (Neel Sethi) must leave the only home he's ever known





Release Date: Out now





I was really looking forward to this film when I heard about it. The trailers looked fantastic and dark, "wow the movie looked dark" which is what it needed to be. Jungle book is not light hearted and sing songs like in the original 1967 animated Disney version that we all watched as kids. Yeah it's still a good movie and yeah it is for kids but it needed to be fierce and serious. I love Disney movies even as a 21 year old I think they are some of the best movies out there but the 1967 jungle book is not my favourite.


I on purposely did not watch the 1967 version before seeing the movie because I did not want to compare it too much so for my review I will try not compare the two as they are completely different styles. 


My first thoughts was that the movie was really good, but judging from the trailers I thought it would be a lot darker than it actually was. Most of the edgy stuff was shown in the trailers and made to look more sinister than it actually was. That doesn't mean it was not a good movie this was just my thoughts and considering it is a kids film, it was creepy enough. 


The CGI in this movie is unbelievable. I have taken a 3D computer animation course before so I understand how difficult and time consuming it can be to create stuff like this and it just leaves me in awe of what people are capable of. It is flawless and beautiful.


The cast list was amazing. There were so many well known actors in the movie that it was really nice to see how they played these characters. My personal favourite had to be Scarlett Johansson as Kaa. I have always liked Kaa and I think that her voice worked so well for the originally male character. I especially loved that in the end credits Kaa's song 'Trust in me' was sung by Scarlett Johansson as well. 


I think casting Bill Murray as Baloo, Idris Elba as Shere Khan, Ben Kingsley as Bagheera and Christopher Walken as King Louie was a great idea. They all have distinctive voices which worked so well for each character. Hearing Bill Murray and Christopher Walken sing such iconic songs was just perfect. I loved it. There was so much nostalgia for me in this movie that made it so much better for me.


Something that cannot be missed is how well Neel Sethi did as Mowgli. Having spoken to some people they have said that his acting was a bit lacking in emotion at some points, only a little but honestly when you think about how much of this movie is CGI and how much he had to imagine the scenes, it's really not surprising. I found a video which shows how some of it was made (it doesn't contain spoilers but it does contain footage so if you are against that the don't watch it).


The video belongs to other people and it's not mine and all that stuff. 



I really enjoyed this movie and I would recommend this movie for people of all ages. It has something for everyone! 

Emma :D

No comments